COGNITIVE BEHAVIORAL THERAPY SPECIALIST
Near you in Midtown, New York, NY
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is a highly structured form of talk therapy which includes several types of therapies, but they’re all grounded in one principle: your thoughts, emotions, and actions all intersect and interact. Our therapists focus on uncovering negative patterns (thinking patterns, emotional patterns, behavioral patterns), identifying tools to uniquely help you address those negative patterns, and guiding you through the application of those tools outside of therapy.
Some techniques that are often associated with CBT include:
- Guided discovery which can help you understand the root of your patterns and explore where you want to go from there.
- Cognitive restructuring which helps you examine your beliefs and reframe them.
- Exposure which can help you confront your fears and phobias.
- Journaling which can help you get in touch with your own thoughts.
- Thought Records which can keep track of new thoughts and new behaviors to see how far you've come.
- Behavior Activation which can help you establish good habits and give you an opportunity to put what you’ve learned into practice.
- Relaxation techniques which can lower stress and increase sense of control.
- Role Play which can help you work through different behaviors in potentially difficult situations.
- Successive Approximation which can help you break large tasks into smaller, more achievable steps.
CBT has been shown to be effective in treating individuals dealing with: