RATIONAL EMOTIVE BEHAVIORAL THERAPY SPECIALIST
Near you in Midtown, New York, NY
Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy (REBT) is an evidence-based type of cognitive behavioral therapy that focuses on two general goals: identifying negative thoughts and replacing negative thoughts with healthier, more productive beliefs. It is grounded in the belief that people generally want to do well in life but negative thoughts or feelings tend to get in the way and influence how you act. It focuses on three core principles, called the ABCs
- (A)ctivating event: trigger
- (B)eliefs: thoughts about trigger
- (C)onsequences: results from the thoughts about the trigger
Our therapists address these three core principles using three key corresponding strategies.
- Problem solving strategies address the activating event (A). This may include communication skills, social skills, decision-making skills, and conflict resolution skills.
- address the beliefs (B) about the activating event (A). This may include visualization, cognitive reframing, cognitive challenging, exposure, examining the evidence, disputing irrational thoughts
- Coping strategies address the consequences (C) of the beliefs (B). This may include deep breathing exercises, muscle relaxation techniques, grounding tools, hypnosis, and meditation.
Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy (REBT) is one of the types of CBT that's been shown effective in treating individuals dealing with: