Living and working in NYC isn’t for the faint of heart — and for high achievers in particular, being overworked and stressed out is
sometimes worn like a badge of honor. But the toll that stress takes on both your mental and physical health is real, and chronic
stress often can’t be solved with coping methods like yoga or taking a vacation.
Finding inner peace can be challenging in a city where you’re surrounded by a million other stressed out people. When the
stress of day-to-day life has become too much to bear and typical methods of decompressing just aren’t cutting it, it’s time to
seek professional help from an experienced therapist.
Whether you’re suffering under a heavy workload that’s making you resent your career or every aspect of daily life in NYC is
making you feel frazzled, Uncover Counseling can help you learn to make stress more manageable.
Living a high-stress life often provides a way for high achievers to escape from unpleasant emotions that we don’t want to feel.
When we stay busy and overworked, stress dominates our nervous system and distracts us from feelings that we don’t want to
deal with. Creating a life that feels more calm and comfortable means uncovering what’s beneath all that stress and dealing with it.
For high achievers, living and working in the competitive NYC environment can exacerbate stress in numerous ways:
● High achievers may believe that being under constant stress is what drives them to achieve, causing them to adopt
stress as a lifestyle.
● When feeling stressed out is our go-to coping mechanism, even the smallest environmental factors — like missing your
train or a barrage of car horns — can send us spiraling.
● Stress is a cultural activity, and constantly being surrounded by other high-achieving New Yorkers who live outwardly
stressful lives can make it seem like the norm.
High achievers living stressful lives may find it difficult to imagine adding yet another item to their to-do list, but Uncover
Counseling’s evidence-based approach is designed to help you create real results. If you find yourself wondering how to not
stress out in NYC, therapy may be the answer you’re looking for.
As a high achiever, you might feel like living in constant stress is just the way it is — but it doesn’t have to be that way. You
aren’t doomed to live a life you want to escape from, and a healthier and happier life is entirely within your reach.
At Uncover Mental Health Counseling, a qualified therapist will use cognitive behavioral therapy, rational emotive behavioral
therapy, dialectical behavioral therapy, and acceptance and commitment therapy to guide you through four key milestones in
order to help you manage stress:
1. COVER YOUR PAST: Our process starts with an assessment of understanding your history and anything that may
have contributed to your current propensity for stress.
2. UNCOVER YOUR PATTERNS: We’ll go deep to understand what triggers your stress and how it’s affecting your
career, your relationships, and your internal state.
3. DISCOVER YOUR POTENTIAL: We’ll work together to build your coping skills, cognitive restructuring skills, emotion
regulation skills, and mindfulness skills to help you let go of stress.
4. RECOVER YOUR POWER: By the end of your time in therapy, you’ll understand what other emotions may be hiding
underneath your stress and develop healthier habits so you can create a more peaceful life.
At Uncover Mental Health Counseling, we’re not just here to listen to you vent about your daily stressors. We utilize
evidence-based tools and therapeutic modalities to help you create the change you want to see in your life. If you’re ready to
learn healthier ways to cope with the stress of being a high achiever in NYC, book a consultation today.